"Haver" British usage: "to hem and haw." Scottish: "to maunder, to talk foolishly, to chatter, talk nonsense, to babble." Jewish: "a friend, chum, mate" - specifically someone willing to partner with you in grappling with truth and Word and life. Yep, I'm setting a high bar here...

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Do you see anything?

The Lord opens the eyes of the blind. Psalm 146:8

And they came to Bethsaida. And some people brought to him a blind man and begged him to touch him. And he took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village, and when he had spit on his eyes and laid his hands on him, he asked him, “Do you see anything?” And he looked up and said, “I see men, but they look like trees, walking.” Then Jesus laid his hands on his eyes again; and he opened his eyes, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. And he sent him to his home, saying, “Do not even enter the village.” Mark 8:22-26

It’s not just another healing.

This rather odd healing encounter of Jesus and the blind man serves as a significant bridge between “Act 1” of Mark (the early Galilean ministry of Jesus) and “Act 2” (preparing the disciples for the final journey to Jerusalem). On one side it connects with what we have just read, starting with the healing of the deaf/mute man in Mark 7:31-37 and the increasingly apparent dull and dimwittedness of the disciples and on the other side with a “first touch” of spiritual perception in Peter’s confession in 8:27-30. But no sooner has Peter confessed “You are the Christ” than it becomes clear that when it comes to Jesus and his mission and the kingdom of God, he still only “sees men, but they look like trees, walking.”

He needs another touch.

“Why does Jesus have to touch the blind man’s eyes twice? Why the ‘partial’ healing?” We might ask the bigger question about our own spiritual eyes and vision.

The fact is, generally speaking, when it comes to our spiritual perception, to our “getting it,” one touch won’t do. It takes the repeated touch of Jesus on “the eyes of our heart” to remove the distortions that accumulate all too easily as we continue to “look through a glass, darkly.”

Perhaps that’s why Paul continues to pray over the Ephesian believers “that the eyes of your heart might be enlightened” — and that’s after spending two full years among them. We’re just as much in need of his repeated touch as was the blind man — and the twelve.

It takes a repeated touch. And evidently it takes Jesus’ spit, too.

What is this with Jesus and his spit? With the deaf/mute man Jesus spat (on the ground? into his hand?) and then touched the man’s tongue (and of course he also thrust his fingers into the man’s ears — it would probably go viral on YouTube). Now in this case Mark says that Jesus spat into his eyes and then touched them (rubbing it in?). Then there’s the case of the man born blind in John 9. There Jesus spits into the dirt and makes his own little mud pile which he then applies to the blind man’s eyes (thankfully then telling him to go wash his eyes).

Jesus and his spit.

There may be many who try to emulate Paul by sending healing hankies in the mail, but curiously they’re aren't any (at least that I’m aware of) that send out vials of spit. Or that have spitting services. The Church of the Holy Spittle. But as head-scratching as this all can be, there’s something wonderfully wild and off-putting about it. The kingdom of God is wonderfully wild and off-putting and unconventional and uncategorizable and uncontainable and unpredictable and undefinable. It defies pat formulations and neat explanations. Now it’s a word, then it’s a wordless touch; now it’s spit in the eyes, then it’s mud; now it’s instantaneous, then it’s in stages; now it’s “I will come and heal him,” then it’s “I won’t come now”; now it’s healing, then it’s suffering; now it’s release from prison, then it’s death.

And in the midst of all these seemingly random and arbitrary rhythms Jesus still leans close and asks us:

“Do you see anything?”

3 comments:

  1. Love this post, Mike! Especially that last long paragraph. Off to share it on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike as always I love your posts. I don't know why but they usually pertain to something present in my life. I was just telling someone that sometimes I have to be told a few times before it clicks with me and then all of a sudden a light goes on. At that point I can look back on several occasions when the same message has been put before me and I just didn't get it. That's when I start to feel a little dense. But Hey, at least I FINALLY got it. God is persistant in persuing me and I'm thankful for that! I love Him with all my heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognize society at large, the church, and myself included, often walk around in the land of the self help books. I.E., I quickly move on to the next problem I need changed within me or just get consumed with the next big thing I want Jesus to do rather than just enjoying the moment and sharing the good news he's already done. I wonder if ," the Joy of the lord is your strength," doesn't, really mean joy and strength. Even now at the end of a day I can look back and go,"man, I really could have stopped and spent more time with that person, why didn't I take time to pray with them." Usually it's because I had my blinders on and was in too big a hurry.Maybe I should just ask Jesus to spit in my face the next time my heart is too clouded over with worry or hurry to stop and smell the roses. I really have a lot of good news to exchange. Jesus said the harvest is ripe but the workers are few. Is it because I don't easily or often enough acknowledge his presence and find the time to just sit and indulge in a few words with a stranger,neighbor,or friend? I've certainly had enough mountain top and wilderness adventures to share what it really means to live the adventure.

    ReplyDelete