"Haver" British usage: "to hem and haw." Scottish: "to maunder, to talk foolishly, to chatter, talk nonsense, to babble." Jewish: "a friend, chum, mate" - specifically someone willing to partner with you in grappling with truth and Word and life. Yep, I'm setting a high bar here...

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Joktheel

He struck down ten thousand Edomites in the Valley of Salt and took Sela by storm, and called it Joktheel, which is its name to this day. 2 Kings 14:7 ESV


Seizing the rock city of Petra in Edom by storm was no small feat for a king.

I remember at least seeing the narrow passageway leading to the Rock city in that third Indiana Jones flick (one day, maybe, I’ll go there myself…but not holding my breath). Amaziah seems to have been right proud of his accomplishment. Calling it Joktheel (“The Lord Subdues”) he slathers his deed with God’s name – and who knows, maybe this is what God wanted him to do and what he did through him. But the pride that surfaces in the rest of his story makes me wonder if this wasn’t more about him that God.

Just gets me to thinking about our own “Joktheel” monuments and achievements – all those trophies we tend to collect with God’s name on them, but about which he may well be saying, “Please, don’t bring me into this!”

Reminds me of a picture I saw today:



So in one little, obscure name that I just noticed and researched for the first time in my recollection comes a pointed and personal reminder to be wary of making pronouncements of what God just did through me.

And btw, the city isn’t called Joktheel anymore.

3 comments:

  1. Exactly what your saying I'm not sure. Is this like venturing out on one of those invocations where I was really sure God,Jesus, just told me,"Climb that far away mountain " (metaphorically) but not by any fault of my own will ,the shit hit the fan?

    BTW, What is it's name anyway

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not even sure what I'm saying...which is generally true most of the time :) I think it's a warning against the somewhat natural presumption to say "God told me this" or "God led me to do this." I just find it amusing (and often tragic) how we can use a divine red carpet at our own parties. And the name of the rock city is Petra or Sela (Greek and Aramaic, if I remember right, for Rock)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When God uses us as His prophetic mouthpiece, we always take the risk of getting rejected in one way or another. I think that He figures we should just be happy that He decided to use us and be extra happy if they drag us out of town and stone us.

    ReplyDelete